Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Vegan Pierogi; 5 Days 5 Dumplings Continued





Pierogi have always been one of those tasty little treats that I consider a true comfort food. This version omits the eggs and butter - instead - flax and vegan soy spread did the job. I made so much of the potato filling that I plan to whip up a second batch this evening to freeze and store for upcoming New England Winter nights. The myth that you need eggs to bind any type of dough is so silly. I took a chance and mixed 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds, three tablespoons of water in lieu of the egg that tradionally goes into the dough used to make the rounds. End result - tasty little pods of potato and carmelized onion, floating up in a pot of boiling water. They were so cute - I actually smiled at them. To serve, I melted down a bit more of the soy butter substitute along with the remaining carmelized onions that were prepped for the filling, a bit of parsley and voila! More dumplings to come this week...(I am on a dumpling making rampage.)

No comments: