Saturday, November 24, 2007

Cooking All the Live Long Day






Upon rising this very cold Saturday morning (the heat wasn't properly connected as the plumbing is being modified - I decided to bake the good muffins to warm up). Am I the ony whacko that would bake to warm up or what?
Then, I began to cook. I just stopped and the time is now 4pm. Totally exhausted but it all looks and tastes very good. What did I make? For starters a huge pot of Chickpea & Lentil Stew full of spices, tomatoes, cilantro and orzo pasta. Then I set out to whip up a batch of Wheat Chapati dough. It's quite simple, wheat flour, some sea salt, a tbsp of oilive oil, and lastly a bit of very hot water. Mix it, knead it and then let sit for a few minutes. Roll into a log, slice into 1-2 inch thick rounds. Flatten them w the palm of your hand and then roll out nice and thin with a floured pin. Not too thin. Place in an oiled hot pan and proceed to press all around with a wad of paper towels. I learned this technique from a great Ayurvedic physician and chef in NYC a few years back....Flip the chapati, repeat the pressing and you should see some puffy spots in the dough forming this is a good thing. Remove and repeat w the next round of dough.
Also made the Berry Compote, Punjabi String Beans, and a Mango Cocktail using Mango, Cointreau, and Vodka. All of this was for a client - I will be dining at a friend's home this evening and am looking forward to not cooking anything for a few hours....Maybe I will take that nap I keep talking about...
















No comments: