Friday, November 16, 2007

Vegan Pumpkin Pie


Vegan Pumpkin Pie Filling

1 Can Pumpkin (Natural)
1 Cup Soymilk

1/2 Cup Sugar (Turbinado)

3 Tbsp Maple Syrup

1/2 Cup Applesauce

3 Tsp Cinnamon

1 Tsp Ginger

1/2 Tsp Cloves

Pinnch of Salt


Place all ingredients in bowl and mix 2 - 3 minutes, until combined and well blended. I used my KitchenAid. Pour into pie shell, place in oven at 350 for one hour, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. I used an Organic Whole Wheat store bought pie crust, found in the healthy frozen food aisle. Next time I plan to make my own Vegan Wheat Pie Crust.


In other news it's insanely windy out there, and it's cold. A perfect evening to give my Diana Krall (http://www.dianakrall.com/) Christmas album a spin. Of course I had to sing along. For some reason I am feeling utterly Christmassy this year, and early too. I keep eyeing the white artificial Christmas trees at the local mega hardware store, trying to justify buying one. It will last a lifetime, it comes pre-lit, it's soooo sparkly.... Also the white trees speak to a certain 60's/Rankin Bass animated holiday cartoon part of me. For the past few years it's been a modest potted tree for me. Not this year, I am just feeling insanely holly jolly.


Also, I recently discovered (on iTunes) various Italian songs that I grew up hearing my parents blast from their 8 tracks. "Sara Perche Ti Amo" by Ricch e Poveri is one of my all time favorites, also "Tu" by Umberto Tozzi. I learned so much about Love, heartache, all things romantic from these songs; not to mention that singing along always improved how I spoke the Italian language. Now, listening to the lyrics "non pioggia perche venga tu" so many years later - after having lived and loved a bit, I realize how intesnely romantic these songs really are.

No comments: