Thursday, November 15, 2007

Planting Spring Bulbs & Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins




Yesterday it was warm for a bit in the late afternoon, so I finally got some of my Spring Bulbs in the ground. I had a bag of 100 Daffodils & 20 Croucus Bulbs to start with. The soil is still soft so it was an easy start. After taking a little break, the weather turned grey and chilly, so I quickly covered the bulbs that I did get in the ground and hurried back indoors. Hopefully there will be another mild day this week so that I can plant the rest. There is something wonderful about holding a bulb in your hand. Is it the promise of Spring that lurks just around the corner? Perhaps it is the sense of holding something which will morph into something completely unlike it's current self...the Ugly Duckling in the Fall, the elegant Swan come March & April...Like holding potential energy in the palm of your hand.


Today the weather is very New England....Blustery, grey with rain that blows left and right. Being that I was awake bright and early, I made a batch of my Banana Chocolate Chip Vegan Muffins. Recipe to follow. They taste best when eaten right out of the oven.
After last night's 90 minute Ashtanga Yoga class, I felt that some of Tuesday's Chocolate Cookies were in order - so I brought a bunch with me to distribute among my fellow yogis and yoginis. 98% of the attendees had at least one cookie; after such a challenging practice it only seems fair to treat yourself to something tasty. That's how I see it, anyhow. We're not talking about sitting on the couch with a case of beer and a box of Twinkies, just a little bit of dark organic chocolate dipped cookies. There was someone who looked at me, sneered and said "I don't eat cookies". How utterly sad. It was like a moment from the Grinch Who Stole Christmas, with his green twisted thin Grinch Lips. Oh well.

No comments: